Sunday, November 9, 2008

A year ago (minus a day, but who's counting right?)




My first attempt at a fondant covered cake!
I made it all myself!
She wasn't so sure about the cake and daddy couldn't stand it,
so he rubbed some on her face! LOL!


One year ago at this very moment, I was sitting in a hospital bed, unsure of what the future would hold for me and my unborn daughter. We had been in the hospital a couple of other times, but this time was "it", it was just a matter of time. My water had broken days before, but in an attempt to mature her lungs, I stayed bedridden in the hospital until she decided it was time. The very next morning, she made her decision. I felt yucky. Not horribly ill, just not well enough to eat (especially since the hospital brought me the wrong food for the millionth time and I despise scrambled eggs). I also noticed that the baby hadn't been moving much. I really had to push on her to get a response. Shortly after my discovery, a nurse came in and immediately started moving me, pushing on her, anything to get some sort of response. Her heartrate was stable, but it was not accelerating or decelerating at all. And I mean you could hold a ruler to it on the little paper that the machine spit out. Minutes later the Dr came in and said, "So, you're not feeling well eh?" I told him I wasn't, but I didn't feel horribly ill like I had during my impending deliveries with Lily and Lucas. He took one look at the paper and said, "Call daddy. It's time!". Within an hour, we had a beautiful baby girl! The actual c-section was 2 minutes from the time of the first incision! She had a short stay in the NICU (well, compared to Lily and Luke's). After 10 days, we busted her out! Our family was complete. She was perfect.




Everyday, she fills our home with such joy! She has her moments, just as any other baby, but I wouldn't trade any of them for the world! We definitely have spoiling down to a science! LOL! Even Lucas, the little brute knows how to spoil her! One little peep in an unhappy tone, and he says, "MOMMMM, what's wrong with the baby? GET HER!" Or if I dare leave her in the playpen or highchair, while I do some unthoughtful thing, like go to the bathroom, and she cries, her sisters are right there to the rescue! And if I question their rescue, it's always, "Well she was crying! She's not allowed to cry!" Oooops. I take full blame for that one. I must admit, this baby hasn't been allowed to cry much. I carry her a lot. I nurse her when she feels like it. I rock her to sleep. I take her to bed with me. You can't overlove a baby right? We may pay for it when she's two and she thinks the world revolves around her, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. For now, we'll let her believe it and cherish every single moment of it!




So Aubrey Cakers, I want to wish you the very happiest of birthdays, and let you know that I thank God every single day for blessing us with you! I'm sorry I have to work tomorrow night, but we celebrated your birthday all weekend long, I hope you had as much fun as we did! :)

I love you forever!
Oh, and for the record, she stood, unassisted for the first time yesterday, Nov 8th! We'll have a walking baby soon! YAY!








1 comment:

PSUMommy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Aw...I can't believe it's been a year already. She's so darn cute, and GREAT job on that cake, Nic!